- Develop specific skills in international co-production and co-venturing
- Receive up-to-date information on film funds and tax incentive
- Learn and receive project feedback from key professionals from both sides of the Atlantic
- Exchange information and experiences with your fellow TAP producers
+++ TRANS ATLANTIC PARTNERS 2020 CANCELLED +++
+++ TRANS ATLANTIC PARTNERS 2020 CANCELLED +++
In response to the Corona crisis and the challenges it will bring to our industry in the upcoming months, the difficult decision has been made to cancel the 2020 edition of Trans Atlantic Partners. The organizers hope the secured funds can be channeled towards industry recovery and will pursue the launch of TAP 2021.
Trans Atlantic Partners (TAP) is an established training and networking program for experienced film and TV producers from Europe, Canada and the U.S. Founded in 2009, TAP is the only program worldwide that is dedicated to trans-Atlantic co-production.
Next to intensive, hands-on training and targeted project feedback from resource trainers, producers will be given the opportunity for a targeted partner search through a series of pre-scheduled 1-2-1 meetings with financiers and decision makers.
TAP is presented by the Erich Pommer Institut, a leading provider of advanced training in the German and European media landscape and the CMPA - Canada Media Producers Association.
|Application Deadline||will be announced in 2021|
|Date||2 Modules: details tba|
|Location||Europe (6 days, incl. travel days) / Canada (7 days, incl. travel days)|
|Target Group||Producers (feature film and/or TV drama)|
RECENT TAP SUCCESSES INCLUDE
what former participants say
- TAP is a powerful accelerator for any producers wanting to deepen their understanding of the American, Canadian and European markets regarding TV series or Feature Films. The collective experience you gain from the hand-picked participants is just exponential.Élaine Hébert (Producer A TOUS CEUX QUI NE ME LISENT PAS), Canada
- TAP is the best place where two different worlds and cultures of doing movies meet with the purpose of collaborating and finding innovative ways of co-producing internationally between the US and the rest of the world. You meet professionals from all continents passionately working on incredible projects and through them you discover a world of resources available to filmmakers.Alvaro R. Valente (Producer ACROSS THE SEA), USA
- TAP has been the most impactful, important experience of my producing career. I almost didn't apply because, like most of us producers, I am "too busy". But the time invested in TAP will have lasting importance in terms of relationships, knowledge, and moving projects forward. Every producer should apply for TAP.Rebecca Gibson (Producer TAKEN), Canada
- TAP changed my life. It opened up the world of international co-productions to me and gave me direct experience in networking on an international level. If you want to produce internationally, TAP is invaluable!Jennifer Fox (Producer & Director THE TALE), USA
- TAP was a wonderful experience where I was able to connect and learn from producers around the world. I now have a Rolodex of peers that I can count on for advice and connections around the world.Mackenzie Donaldson (Producer ORPHAN BLACK), Canada
- THE TALE is the second co-production that emerged from TAP for us after ANGRY INDIAN GODDESSES in 2015. It was amazing to be able to work on a project together with a partner from across from the Atlantic even during the program.Sol Bondy (Producer THE TALE, Co-Producer ANGRY INDIAN GODDESSES), Germany
- I was very impressed by the calibre of resources, trainers, experts and most of all participants. The experience in the room was fantastic. When the pitches began I was blown away. (In Halifax) there were amazing case studies given by industry experts.Rachael O'Kane (Tilted Pictures), Ireland
- TAP is an incredibly powerful international networking opportunity that has formed numerous enduring, profitable and award-winning productions, working relationships and friendships for me and my career.David Cormican (Don Carmody Television), Canada
- TAP was a monumental experience for me both professionally and personally. As an American producer, there is no better education of the international producing landscape. And most of all, I now have friends all over the world!Diane Houslin (B.O.B Filmhouse), USA
- As an established feature film producer, TAP’s dual training focus of film and TV, very much helped me get a better sense of the international potential of structuring a scripted television series in todays marketplace, as well as a great deal of applied learning in how to do so.Jeff Kopas (Vitality Media Productions Inc.), Canada
- TAP is a great resource because of the sense of community and contact with fellow producers and experts. It has helped me expand my business relationships across various countries and into different important fields of the business.Daniel Kresmery (Korda Studios), Hungary
- TAP is the most effective program available if you want to meet viable co-production partners.Judy Holm (Markham Street Films), Canada
- Great people, great projects, great opportunities - I'd recommend TAP to any producer!Tom Collins (de facto films), Ireland
TAP Alumni include
- TRAINING and PROJECT FEEDBACK
- NETWORKING and PARTNER SEARCH
TAP offers a unique combination of intensive, hands-on training with effective networking among potential partners, and targeted project feedback from internationally acclaimed industry experts.
TRAINING and PROJECT FEEDBACK
TAP provides its participants the development of specific skills, access to invaluable expertise and the introduction to new business perspectives for international co-production and co-venturing in film and TV.
Top-level industry experts share their knowledge and experience and provide invaluable project feedback.
NETWORKING and PARTNER SEARCH
TAP offers exclusive networking opportunities including pre-scheduled 1-2-1 meetings with potential project partners and decision makers.
TAP participants will also become part of the TAP Alumni Network with regular networking dinners at major international festivals including Berlin, Cannes and TIFF.
TAP is designed for independent producers with more than five years of professional experience in the film and television industry that have produced a minimum of one feature film or TV fiction series.
Applicants are required to have at least one project attached that is suitable for international co-production. As TAP is a program especially designed for producers interested in developing both live action feature film projects and TV drama series, priority will be given to those applicants that submit both a TV and feature film project. Applicants should be nationals of the EU, Canada or the US, although there are 3 additional positions available for ‘internationals’.
Market Intelligence / Finance
- The European, Canadian and US audiovisual market - figures, structure, players, operating conditions
- The financial landscape for European, Canadian and US feature film and TV production
- The legal framework: Europe | Canada | US
- Bilateral treaties and the European Convention on Cinematographic Co-Production
- The co-production/ co-venture agreement
In-depth, candid case studies of successful trans-Atlantic co-productions - both Film and TV - presented by acclaimed and award-winning producers.
Previous case studies include: THE HUMMINGBIRD PROJECT (CAN | BEL), ALIAS GRACE (CAN), THE TALE (USA | DE), ALOFT (ES | CAN), THE BOOK OF NEGROES (CAN | USA), MAUDIE (IRL | CAN), HEVN (NO | CAN)
Sales / Distribution / New Media
- Pitching projects
- Sales Agents and positioning in the marketplace
- Distribution in Europe, Canada and the US – structures and players
- Audience engagement and market outreach
previous tap experts Include
Training and Project Feedback
Networking and Partner Search
- Participate at the Atlantic Film Festival's Strategic Partners, one of the worlds pre-eminent international co-production markets in Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Engage in further excellent networking opportunities throughout both modules
- Get access to top industry players to discuss their projects in 1-2-1
- Discover new international partners and projects
TAP Alumni Network
- Become part of the exclusive TAP Alumni Network with annual business events throughout the year.
- Meet other TAP alumni, TAP
experts and industry guests in 1-2-1 meetings and at networking dinners at
major international festivals including Berlin, Cannes and TIFF.
The application deadline for the 2021 edition will be announced in early 2021.
Please subscribe to the EPI newsletter to receive the latest updates on all deadlines.
- Applicants should be nationals of Countries in the European Union, Canada or the USA
- 3 seats are available to international producers
Profile and further requirements:
- independent film and TV producers with more than five years of professional experience in the film and television industry and a minimum of one feature film or TV fiction series produced
- project(s) attached (feature film or TV fiction) that is suitable for international co-production. Please, no animation or documentary.
- application may include up to two projects of different formats (feature film & TV fiction)
Further information on the application and the selection process:
Information to have at hand when filling out the application form:
- Contact and Additional Information
- Objectives for applying to TAP (min. 1, max. 4; max. 100 characters each)
- Short biography & company profile (max. 1000 characters each, ~ 150 words)
- Main credits (details, your role, festivals, awards) (min. 1, max. 3)
- Projects for TAP (min. 1, max. 2)
a. Title, format, genre
b. Short synopsis (max. 500 characters, ~ 75 words)
c. Long synopsis (max. 1800 characters, ~ 270 words)
d. Artistic Statement (max. 1000 characters, ~ 150 words)
e. Further information (partially optional)
f. Attached writer, director, producer, co-producer, broadcaster
g. Shooting language, location and start
h. Based on, development stage, budget total / per episode, URL
i. Elements seeking / available for co-production (e.g. location, post, cast, director)
j. Financing in place (e.g. government grants, foundations, private equity)
k. Main talent attached (max. 3; name, role, bio of max. 1000 characters, ~ 150 words)
Please keep in mind:
- You cannot make any changes to your application after submission!
- If selected, relevant information will be taken from the application form and published in internal print material. Where stated, information may also be used for publication in press releases.
Applications will be evaluated based on:
- The level of industry experience of the producer applying
- The creative and commercial merits of the project(s)
- The co-production, co-venturing possibilities of the project(s) among Europe, Canada and/or the US
- Financing in place
- Packaging elements in place
Priority will be given to those producers that submit both a TV and feature film project.
( Partial scholarships available for Canadian, European and US producers - please contact us for details.)
This fee includes full board and accommodation in Europe and Halifax. It also covers the costs of the workshops and the registration fee at FIN Partners International Co-production Market. Travel costs are not included.
We encourage participants to apply for financial support with their national/regional funding bodies.