The Art of Negotiating Agreements for Film and TV
Good agreements are essential for the success of any production. This workshop aims at enabling film and TV producers to handle an agreement like a good script: with passion and a deep understanding of its structures and mechanisms.
Participants will dive deep into the psychological dynamics involved in any negotiation and gain knowledge on how to protect their interests in the best way. In interactive and practical exercises during the workshop, they will have the chance to apply and test the newly learned methods and techniques with other professionals directly.
Internationally renowned experts will also shed light on the secrets of the industry by giving exclusive insights into its inner workings. They will provide a comprehensive overview of VOD-platforms and other potential business partners and equip participants with hands-on tips on setting themselves up for success and entering negotiations with confidence and a strong mindset.
|Accommodation||Our hotel contingent is fully booked. Please get in touch if you would still like to book accommodation.|
|Date||June 8-10, 2023 (Welcome dinner on June 7 - Day of departure on June 11)|
|Format||Interactive on-site workshop|
|Participation Fee||690 EUR (incl. meals, excl. accommodation)|
|Scholarships||Will be available (see below)|
- Essential elements of agreements
- The psychological dynamics of negotiation and conflict resolution
- Negotiation techniques: Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP), The Harvard Method and others
- Potential partners for production and distribution and how to approach them
- Identifying interests of potential partners and your own
- Resolving conflicts and handling challenging positions
- Deep understanding of the complex world of communication
- Detailed overview of most relevant negotiation partners in film and TV and understanding their interests
- Training negotiation and conflict resolution techniques in a variety of practical exercises
- Hands-on tips on setting yourself up for success
- Interactive sessions and various networking opportunities with European professionals
program schedule DRAFT 2023
Lighthouse Collaboration Space
Motel One Berlin-Mitte
The Motel One Berlin-Mitte's central location in the heart of Kreuzberg makes it a great starting point for exploring this historic city. The Berlin Wall once ran 100 metres behind our affordable design hotel.
Thanks to the top location of the hotel directly at the underground station Moritzplatz, you can also reach the Brandenburg Gate, Friedrichstraße, the East Side Gallery and Alexanderplatz without any detours by public transport.
Just around the corner from the Motel One Berlin-Mitte you will also find the Prinzessinnengärten, whose greenery also grows into our lounge.
During your stay, you will have many opportunities to take in the work with all its details in a pleasant ambience. Whether in the morning during breakfast, in the afternoon with a cappuccino or in the evening with a gin and tonic at the bar: we have definitely reserved a seat for you in our One Lounge. Comfortable seating by Moroso and Diesel with unconventional patterns and prints await you here.
You will also find free W-LAN and friendly staff as usual. Be guest at Motel One in the centre of Berlin and immerse yourself in the city's eventful history during your business trip.
Lunch & Dinner options
Lunches and dinners are included in the cost of participation. For convenience and a more ecological impact the menu choice will be oriented towards vegetarian dishes.
Lunches will be served at the workshop venue by a local catering company.
Dinners are reserved in restaurants in Kreuzberg area, making sure that they are accessible.
To facilitate access for people with mobility impairments, both the workshop venue that hosts the training and the hotel are equipped with lifts and ramps to facilitate wheelchair access.
We also make sure that the restaurants are accessible.
For any question or further support please contact the team (see contact details below).
Scholarships and discounts
Erich Pommer Institut Scholarships
A limited number of mostly partial scholarships is available for nationals of the following countries thanks to our Creative Europe - MEDIA funding: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia.
Participants from countries that are not part of European Union's MEDIA initiative may still be viable for a scholarship depending on their participation in the MEDIA strand. These countries include: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Republic of Serbia and Ukraine.
If you want to apply for a scholarship, please fill out the following form, until April 24. Do not purchase the workshop, in case you apply for the scholarship.
We encourage all applicants to seek financial support with their national/regional funding bodies.
Other Scholarships and Discounts
Company discounts: The second person from the same company is eligible for a discount of EUR 200 when booking at the same time and at the non-discounted rate. Please contact us to receive the discount code.
Please consider applying for funding in your home countries.
- Belgium / Flanders: Flanders Audiovisual Fund (VAF) training support (contact person: Koen Baeyens)
- Finland: AVEK training supports | The Finnish Film Foundation training supports for distributors and exhibitors (contact person: Ilmari Arnkil)
- Ireland: Screen Ireland Bursary Award
- Lithuania: Lithuanian Film Centre scholarships
- Norway: Norwegian Film Institute support for international initiatives
- Netherlands: Netherlands Film Fund training support
- Poland: Polish Film Institute financial support
- Switzerland: Media Desk Suisse training support
- United Kingdom: Film Hub Scotland | Film Hub Northern Ireland | Film Hub North | Film Hub Midlands | Film Hub Wales (Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org) | Film Hub London | Film Hub South East run by the Independent Cinema Office |
Film Hub South West run by Watershed
Please note: Discounts and scholarships are not combinable.
What former participants say
- The Art of Negotiating Agreements for Film and TV is an absolute must for any film executive willing to step up their game in successfully negotiating any kind of deal, while securing solid and long lasting relationships. As a plus, the workshop sheds valuable insight on how to monetize your content in the new digital landscape.Marta Vaz de Sousa, Same Same Film Production, Portugal
- The course was really interesting in learning about the psychology behind negotiation, about how to relate to the other party to listen and try and understand what is it they want or need. The combination of lectures and exercises is well thought off and are complementary to each other. The lunches and dinners are great ways to get the know the other participants and talk more about what we have learned in a more informal sfere.Hanneke Bosman, Leviate Film, The Netherlands
- This seminar will make you a better negotiator! A highly professional set-up, excellent experts and engaged colleagues. And most surprising: Germans can actually be entertaining and funny teachers!Hans Rossiné, NRK, Norway