Essential Legal Framework
Digital Production Essentials
With the development of digital production technologies and the innovation in the field of virtual production and visual effects, great majority of film and TV projects nowadays are created in digital workflow.
Planning such a production and post-production should start already in the early stage and in development. The workshop offers fundamental insights into the technologies and processes linked to digitally producing an audiovisual project as well as hands-on advice on implementing and benefitting from digital workflows at different stages of production.
Next to the theoretical and practical work in the group, a visit to the digital production facilities in Studio Babelsberg will allow the participants to see the technology in use and ask questions first-hand.
|Format||Interactive on-site workshop|
|Participation Fee||690€ (incl. meals, excl. accommodation)|
|Scholarships||Scholarships and discounts will be available|
WHAT DIGITAL PRODUCTION ESSENTIALS OFFER
- Overview of digital production terms and technologies
- Cutting-edge case studies
- Digital production process, pipelines and planning
- Digital production roadmap
- Calculating the budget for different VFX models
- Tax incentives and other financing models for VFX and postproduction
- Latest expertise from internationally acclaimed trainers
- Opportunity to test and apply the acquired knowledge
- Interactive sessions with space for questions and exchange
- Excellent networking opportunities
- An active and interdisciplinary group of participants and industry experts
- Hands on tips on budgeting a project for a digital and virtual production
- Ability to better plan and prepare future productions
PROGRAM SCHEDULE 2023 was
EXPERTS in 2023 were
Study Visits 2023 were
LEDcave in Berlin is one of the world's most advanced virtual production studios, suitable for film, advertising, live events and more.
With additional studios in Mannheim and Cologne, the LEDcave framework expands the possibilities for creative work and lets teams leverage the power of virtual production intuitively. By producing in digital environments, uncertainty can be greatly reduced and cooperation between production team members is improved considerably. Through virtual production, more media is created in less time and post-production can be cut almost entirely.
During our visit, we will get to know more about the technology and possible applications for it.
The Post Production
Based in the center of Berlin, The Post Republic is serving the international movie industry offering customised workflow solutions for a variety of budgets and production scales. The studio houses a multitude of disciplines and a broad range of skill sets, offering end-to-end postproduction solutions including Digital On Set Lab, Editing, Colour Grading, Visual Effects and Motion Design, Sounddesign, Mixing, Filmrecording and Digital Delivery.
Over the last 10 years, The Post Republic has completed work on over 300 films and has gained a reputation for ensuring that small and large films received the same high standard of creative and technical expertise.
Our visit will focus on sound post-production. At The Post Republic, we will discuss the immersive sound solutions for the Oscar-winning film “All Quiet on the Western Front".
Case study 2023 was
All Quiet on the Western Front
Netflix's All Quiet on the Western Front, directed by Edward Berger, is a harrowing look at trench warfare during WWI. The film depicts the physical and emotional atrocities of war as experienced by young German soldier Paul Bäumer.
The film is a multi-Oscar-winning production. It uses some of the newest technologies, to depict the horrors of the Great War.
Together with The Post Republic, we examine with this case study immersive sound and will dive deep into how this specific element of the film contributed to the final experience.
WHAT FORMER PARTICIPANTS SAY
- The Digital Production Essential’s workshop surpassed my expectations in terms of content and expert-level teaching. We went deep into the ins and outs of new technologies like virtual production, Dolby atmos, and visual effects tools, and discussed budgeting and creating an efficient workflow for all of these. I took away some fantastic contacts for my network across Europe, as well as pages of notes for future projects.Sam Ainsworth | Director, Producer | La Paz Films
Impressions of the 2023 Edition
SCHOLARSHIPS AND DISCOUNTS
Erich Pommer Institut Scholarships
A limited number of mostly partial scholarships is available for nationals of the following countries thanks to our Creative Europe - MEDIA funding: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia.
Participants from countries that are not part of the European Union's MEDIA initiative may still be viable for a scholarship depending on their participation in the MEDIA strand. These countries include: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Montenegro, North Macedonia, the Republic of Serbia and Ukraine.
We encourage all applicants to seek financial support with their national/regional funding bodies.
Other Scholarships and Discounts
Company discounts: The second person from the same company is eligible for a discount of EUR 200 when booking at the same time and at the non-discounted rate. Please contact us to receive the discount code.
Please consider applying for funding in your home countries.
- Belgium / Flanders: Flanders Audiovisual Fund (VAF) training support (contact person: Koen Baeyens)
- Finland: AVEK training supports | The Finnish Film Foundation training supports for distributors and exhibitors (contact person: Ilmari Arnkil)
- Ireland: Screen Ireland Bursary Award
- Lithuania: Lithuanian Film Centre scholarships
- Norway: Norwegian Film Institute support for international initiatives
- Netherlands: Netherlands Film Fund training support
- Poland: Polish Film Institute financial support
- Switzerland: Media Desk Suisse training support
Please note: Discounts and scholarships are not combinable.