Clearing Rights for Film and TV
Scripts based on real stories, a Warhol poster in the background of a scene, and a protagonist humming a Robbie Williams song – not all rights contained in a script or a film are that obvious. Only a detailed analysis can avoid cost-intensive pitfalls.
The increasing importance of the streamers has never been clearer than in times of closed movie theaters and cancelled premieres. With the continuous rise of VoD subscription number around the globe, working with the platforms and understanding the legal issues involved is becoming crucial for the sustainable development of many audiovisual companies.
The workshop offers a comprehensive overview of rights’ clearance strategies and the necessary legal knowledge to tackle these issues head-on. Top European and US-American industry experts and state-of-the-art case studies help participants develop a deep understanding of the topic in a surprisingly entertaining way. Excellent networking opportunities round off this intensive workshop.
* This workshop is made possible thanks to the continuous funding by the Creative Europe - MEDIA program.
|Target Group||Industry professionals dealing with rights' issues in various stages of production|
|Participation Fee||690 EUR (incl. meals, excl. accommodation)|
|Scholarships||Scholarships and discounts available (details below)|
What Clearing Rights offers
- Rights clearance strategies
- Copyright and its exemptions (Fair Use, parody etc.)
- Turning real life into film: Clearing personality rights
- Everybody’s nightmare? Clearing music rights
- Who is paying? How E&O insurance works
- The big players: Clearing rights at US majors and the streamers
- Clearing trademarks, artwork and landmarks: The creative approach
- Global perspective: Cases in different national jurisdictions
- Clearing rights for documentaries and factual entertainment
- Combining legal and creative
- Practical knowledge to identify and clear rights fast & effectively
- Learning from theoretical and practical work on cases
- Deep insight into best practices and strategies
- Latest expertise from internationally acclaimed trainers
- Interactive sessions with space for questions and exchange
- Opportunity to test and apply the acquired knowledge
- Excellent networking opportunities
- An active and interdisciplinary group of participants and industry experts
- Opportunity to establish valuable and long-lasting business relationships with audiovisual professionals from all over Europe
Program schedule 2022
Case studies 2022
scholarships and discounts
Erich Pommer Institut Scholarships
A limited number of mostly partial scholarships will be available for nationals of the following countries thanks to our Creative Europe - MEDIA funding: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia.
Participants from countries that are not part of European Union's MEDIA initiative may still be viable for a scholarship depending on their participation in the MEDIA strand. These countries include: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Republic of Serbia and Ukraine.
We encourage all applicants to seek financial support with their national/regional funding bodies.
Other scholarships and discounts
Company discounts: The second person from the same company is eligible for a discount of EUR 200 when booking at the same time and at the non-discounted rate. Please contact us to receive the discount code.
Please consider applying for funding in your home countries.
- Finnish funding possibilities: AVEK training supports | The Finnish Film Foundation training supports
- Lithuanian funding possibility: Lithuanian Film Centre scholarships
- Polish funding possibility: Polish Film Institute financial support
Please note: Discounts and scholarships are not combinable.
What former participants sAy
- The most meaningful and interesting professional activity this year. Clearing rights and copyright law is a deep matter for every filmmaker. This workshop helped me a lot to clarify very important details from the law aspect, especially at the international level. As an independent film director and producer, I highly recommend this program!Andrey Hadjivasilev, Revive Vision, Bulgaria
- For me it was a great experience being part of a workshop with participants from so many different countries as well as all these international experts. The experts are very competent and they were all open and very likeable. The conversion of the seminar to an online seminar due to the situation this year was done very professionally.Sonja Maxeiner, Studio Hamburg, Germany
- All elements are very well balanced, the quality of the organisation and experts (as well as their variety both in terms of experience, professional areas and geographies) was spot on, and there was openness to discuss any aspect that came to the table. I highly recommend the workshop for any independent content producer willing to embrace the global market.Virgilio Ferreira, West Coast Film, Portugal