Scripts based on real stories, a Warhol poster in the background of a scene, and a protagonist humming a Robbie Williams song – not all rights contained in a script or a film are that obvious. Only a detailed analysis can avoid cost-intensive pitfalls.
The increasing importance of the streamers has never been clearer than in times of closed movie theaters and cancelled premieres. With the continuous rise of VoD subscription number around the globe, working with the platforms and understanding the legal issues involved is becoming crucial for the sustainable development of many audiovisual companies.
The workshop offers a comprehensive overview of rights’ clearance strategies and the necessary legal knowledge to tackle these issues head-on. Top European and US-American industry experts and state-of-the-art case studies help participants develop a deep understanding of the topic in a surprisingly entertaining way. Excellent networking opportunities round off this intensive workshop.
|Target Group||Industry professionals dealing with rights' issues in various stages of production|
|Participant fee||890 EUR (incl. meals, excl. accommodation)|
|Scholarships||Scholarships and discounts available (details below)|
What Clearing Rights offers
- Rights clearance strategies
- Copyright and its exemptions (Fair Use, parody etc.)
- Turning real life into film: Clearing personality rights
- Everybody’s nightmare? Clearing music rights
- Who is paying? How E&O insurance works
- The big players: Clearing rights at US majors and the streamers
- Clearing trademarks, artwork and landmarks: The creative approach
- Global perspective: Cases in different national jurisdictions
- Clearing rights for documentaries and factual entertainment
- Combining legal and creative
- Practical knowledge to identify and clear rights fast & effectively
- Learning from theoretical and practical work on cases
- Deep insight into best practices and strategies
- Latest expertise from internationally acclaimed trainers
- Interactive sessions with space for questions and exchange
- Opportunity to test and apply the acquired knowledge
- Excellent virtual networking opportunities
- An active and interdisciplinary group of participants and industry experts
- Opportunity to establish valuable and long-lasting business relationships with audiovisual professionals from all over Europe
programme Schedule 2020
Experts 2020 were
Case Studies 2020 were
scholarships and discounts
Erich Pommer Institut Scholarships
A limited amount of mostly partial scholarships is available for nationals of the following countries: Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, FYROM, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine.
Other scholarships and discounts
Please consider applying for funding in your home countries.
German funding possibility: Bildungsprämie des Bundesministeriums für Bildung und Forschung
Lithuanian funding possibility: Lithuanian Film Centre scholarships
Polish funding possibility: Polish Film Institute financial support
If you would like to participate but are experiencing financial difficulties because of Covid-19, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will try our best to find a solution.
Please note: Discounts and scholarships are not combinable.
What former participants sAy
- I can think of no better context than this to learn more about clearing rights. With real examples and know-how shared by experts you’d not normally have access to, there is something valuable here for everyone working in film and TV production or media law.Judi Sydes, Diagonal TV, Spain
- I really enjoyed being surrounded by people and experts who are working in the same industry. National examples and cases have broadened the point of view and outlook. International experience, tips (especially from USA) – masterpiece!Simona Mikenaite, AVAKA, Lithuania
- Thank you EPI for the perfect organisation of this information-packed seminar with A-list lawyers. Invaluable. I met my objectives by getting answers to all my questions. And met some fun people.Cornelius Schregle, Backdrop Switzerland, Switzerland